PRISM: A Celebration of Hip-Hop Culture – September 24
Saturday, September 24
5010 Market Street
San Diego, CA 92102
The Jacobs Center and its urban art program Writerz Blok invite you to its second FREE PRISM event. PRISM is a series of events that celebrate San Diego graffiti art, music, and culture. This upcoming all ages event will celebrate all things hip-hop with several engaging arts and culture competitions.
KRS – KNOWLEDGE REIGNS SUPREME HIP-HOP TRIVIA (2 – 3 pm)
Family Feud and Jeopardy meets the streets in this hip-hop community game show. Three teams of three use their collective hip-hop knowledge to battle for $300 in prize money. Each team will come up with a Hip-Hop inspired team name and will be given different colored shirt printed by Writerz Blok.
Categories will include (but are not limited to):
• Name the Artist (song identification – both new and old school)
• Say What? (Finish the lyric)
• Ants in My Pants (Perform a selected popular hip-hop dance)
• Hip-Hop History
• Looking Fly (trivia on Hip-Hop apparel)
Interested teams must email Gill Sotu at firstname.lastname@example.org with their team name and the names of their participants by September 12 to be entered into the competition. The teams chosen to compete will be selected at random and notified September 16.
KING OF THE CYPHER (3:30 – 5 pm)
Aspiring emcee’s perform in a cypher and go through three rounds of challenges to win a $200 prize and be named
King of the Cypher.
Round 1 – Written Rhymes (emcee’s perform their best written verse to a beat selected by our DJ)
Round 2 – Free Style – Vocab (emcee’s must freestyle a verse using the four words chosen by the audience)
Round 3 – Free Style – Subject (emcee’s must freestyle on a topic that effects the community)
KING OF THE CYPHER RULES:
Interested emcee’s must sign up by 1:30 pm at the event to participate.
• The competition is limited to 15 emcees. Emcee’s will compete in the order drawn.
• Each round is judged by five random audience members who will score each emcee in a round from 0-10.
The low and high scores given to each emcee will be taken out to create an average score.
• The top seven emcee’s will advance to the second and third rounds. The order will be based on the highest to lowest scores. For example, the emcee with the highest score in round one, will go first in round two.
• The highest combined score of the three rounds wins.
• No profanity, sexually explicit language, or hate speech is allowed.
GRAFFITI BATTLE & LIVE EXPO (1 – 4 pm)
Previously selected up and coming graph writers showcase their skills in this head-to-head competition for $100.
For more information contact Laura Sanchez at email@example.com.