LA JOLLA PLAYHOUSE SEEKS PARTICIPANTS FOR A THEATER PRODUCTION ABOUT THE REAL LIVES OF SOUTHEASTERN SAN DIEGO RESIDENTS
NEW THEATER PRODUCTION ABOUT REAL LIVES AND COMMUNITIES OF
SOUTHEAST SAN DIEGO
Ping Chong + Company (New York City) is partnering with La Jolla Playhouse to create an interview-based theatre production with local participants telling their own stories on stage, exploring the real-life experiences of people who call Southeast San Diego home.
Ping Chong + Company is an internationally recognized theater company known for bringing underrepresented voices to the stage through its community engaged theater projects. Ping Chong + Company artists will conduct interviews with local residents who are connected to Southeast San Diego. The interviews become the basis of the script, performed by the participants themselves, weaving together personal, historical, and political narratives. Community members from all backgrounds, ages, professions, experiences and identities are invited to apply. Stories will reflect a wide range of Southeast experiences – people who grew up there, people who recently moved there, people who work there, or have other connections to communities and neighborhoods in Southeast.
- No previous performance experience required! No memorization required!
- Potential participants must be willing to tell their own story on stage, in collaboration with others.
- Potential participants must be able to attend a 2 hour interview in January 2017.
- Rehearsals + performances will take place in March 2017 (Location TBD in or near Southeast. Approximately 3 weeks of evening/weekend rehearsals, 15 hours per week)
- Participants selected to be part of the final project will be compensated for their time.
Deadline to apply: Wednesday, December 28, 2016. Interview slots are limited, not everyone interviewed will be invited to participate in the performance.
For more information on Ping Chong + Company, please visit www.pingchong.org.
For inquiries or to request an interview, please call or email:
Jacole Kitchen by phone: (858) 228-3043 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org